Home

In Attendance: Brendan (part of GSU), Dante (part of Dirty Hands Arts Collective, CIRAL, long-range curriculum & Alumni relations), Zach (Co-coordinator of CFC), Sophie (artist and CFC member), Jesse (senior, interested in interface art and conservation), Jordan (coordinator of the Marxist group on campus), Daniel (sophomore, sustainability coordinator for RAD, aquaponics project in housing), Elle “Ellie” (CIRAL app development for social collaboration, CIVITAS), James (intersectional liberation that does not dilute individual needs)

Starting things off: Discussing roles, Purpose and Scope

Evergreen was born out of a narrative of people seeking alternatives to the dominant culture, and now TESC faces a possible change in direction, propelled by a larger momentum towards the mainstream, in large part due to financial forcing power. We are passionate about recollecting and reshaping that energy that catalyzed Evergreen and bringing our current perspectives into community action.

First and foremost, we want to provide a framework for the discussions and actions we want to facilitate within the community. We want to use the committee to enable action on a weekly basis, encouraging transparency, accountability and encouragement. In these first stages of the Revival Committee meeting, we’re beginning to think about our scope and purpose in regard to the following questions: What happens if other people want to form other committees? Do we break up smaller, do we support starting others, do we maintain our foundational base and support in that way?

Discussing the 4th floor of the Library @ TESC:

Dante shared with us about how we might apply the idea of “Second-home environments” to the 4th floor library space: creating spaces that are neutral, but inviting. Evergreen, when it first started, had a commune spirit, in a single house where all faculty lived together. Much of the intimacy and integrity has literally dissipated. We hope to carry this spirit of community-building with our work.

We aspire to be agents of change that facilitate sweeping generational changes for the better, Evergreen the institution, too — and we both fall short, but we can reinforce what we are each working on and multiply our impact to make that change more tangible. We on the committee hope to provide the infrastructure, inroads, and other means of support to facilitate that collaborative action.

We have identified the 4th floor space (LIB 4300) as a focal point for our energies as we begin to start our work as this supportive body (The Committee), as well as the long-term reach of our work. The Flaming Eggplant community is envisioned as an experienced and responsible partner in the piloting of, and sustainability of the community kitchen project in 4300. James Hibbs suggests we think about establishing a “Proficiency System” to assess the maintenance/upkeep concern, as well as satisfying our desire to facilitate self-sufficiency and community development.

Talking about sustainability within communities, healthy communities as well as the environment around us that we all share, to help facilitate that relationship of respect with each other and the land. Buy-in co-op system of management for the shared space, the idea of a $5 monthly, or a quarterly support fee — something small enough to be accessible, but significant enough to demonstrate a commitment to the use and upkeep of the space. Dante and Elle offered that environmental, social sustainability are each valuable, but that this project and others like it have a greater synergistic potential via bio-cultural restoration, restoring our connection/relationship to the land as well as each other.

Evolution of the project, 2nd term goals of providing an institutional food services alternative. The development of this project on a small scale requires more community input than what we have now. We see the need for a larger (campus-wide) Community Forum around community spaces and the potential of this community kitchen/hangout space.

General Updates:

Daniel has had a busy week moving forward with the Aquaponics project, wading through bureaucracy of county code, administrative push-back, but passionate about setting up a joint community space between the CRC on campus and RAD Services to facilitate community building (he envisions a garden). Athletes from CRC to offer volunteer energy for projects like these. Identifying a lack of support for sustainability projects that are student-originated, and seeking to change this.

Elle: described the benefit of creating an activist “facebook”, or cheat sheet that theater folks she knows use — a document that has pictures and descriptions of the people on campus that can offer support: who they are and what they do, how exactly they might help you. She’s been writing software all week.

James: Field trip to Shelton, research, classwork dominating his time this past week. He’s been working on facilitating the upcoming Male Allyship workshop as part of International Women’s Week.

Brendan: GSU work preparing for many current GSU members cycling out soon, and engaging Greeners that want to engage in the political process at The College.

Dante: Introduced the idea of “Collective Impact Model” last week at Revival, and continuing his research with that as well as facilitating deeper collaboration.

Zach: Working on putting on workshops through the Campus Food Coalition (CFC), working on a planning committee discussing the future of the Food Bank at TESC (and how to make it better, serve more people more fully). Eager to get a cadre of students together to insert clarifying language

Sophie: leaving in Spring quarter to do conservation work in Australia with WildLands. Thinking about spending her month here in Olympia before she leaves Spring quarter, doula workshop? other projects? open to suggestions.

Jesse: Bike shop coordinator leaving soon, involved with meeting about a bike campaign on campus next quarter. Interested in holding discussion with Campus Community about services they appreciate through the bike shop, and things that can be improved. Mar. 17th alleycat ride off-campus coming up.

Jordan: Talking about getting Socialist Alternative’s newspaper distributed freely on campus. Working on bringing speakers to campus next quarter. CodePink activist working at Traditions coming to campus to speak about impact of drone warfare in Pakistan.

Fourth Floor —

  • poster
  • S&A
  • faculty
  • RAD
  • drafting a proposal
  • inviting CEC, Eggplant, Freshman and others for buy-in
  • Proficiencies
  • Scott Morgan
  • Eggplant meeting Monday, 3pm

There are key members for this discussion about the community space that are not present, and we need to include them in the planning process. Freshman, Flamer crew (Eggplant), Clean Energy Committee folks in particular. We could facilitate an ad-campaign to rally the voices we need in this discussion. Freshman this year being a part of a campaign to share their experiences with next-years incoming class and start movement for community space.

Food Service Providers:

Evergreen has consistently lost money through its food service, this past academic year is the first year it broke even and made a little money on it. Aramark has been somewhat responsive to campus demands. Can we invite Sarah Rocker to the next Revival to share some details about the contract? Are there loopholes in current contract language we can exploit? Can we define the 4th floor space as an educational space rather than a strictly culinary space? “Food lab”?

Agriculture, food studies at Evergreen has a huge opportunity to close the loop and cycle back in some of the lessons students are learning and apply them: Mark Lacina, Assistant Director of RAD Services, has been a part of the Evergreen community for 30 years, is an ally that Daniel has identified for pushing forward with closing the food loop on campus. Sharon Goodman, Sarah Rocker and other staff and faculty (Martha Rosemeyer, Donald, Laurel, Frederica Bowcutt) We’ve identified the Farmhouse Kitchen as an exception to the rule of Food Service Provider’s exclusivity (monopoly) of food spaces on campus. Test driving these spaces that exist as a pilot example to demonstrate our momentum to support a project like 4300 is a possible way to start.

4300 Walkthrough

We agreed that we should schedule a Revival walkthrough of 4300 through RAD Services, or others. 4300 subcommittee to plan this walkthrough (to plan who brings cameras, to invite folks to come walk with us)?

Sophie volunteered to draft a poster for Revival, making it more visible.

Brendan to pursue the history of community kitchens on campus.

Elle faculty buy-in especially from those with dietary restrictions that are currently limited in access to food on campus.

Daniel to begin drafting condensed mission statement and purpose of our work with 4300. Starting the work of a rough proposal.

**How does the current and pending food contract affect the future of our work with these spaces?** (Daniel said he’d check in with Sharon Goodman about this.)

Elle to talk with Media Loan — asking them about their system for proficiency, how that might be adapted for our work with 4300.

Monday @ 3:00, Eggplant meeting — bringing our plans to them to ask for partnership, how they work as a student cooperative, and where we can draw structure, support from.

Does Revival need to be an RSO? “Students of the Evergreeen Revival” What kind of umbrella architecture do we need to support our work, and to get all the voices involved in this discussion. Should we be addressing alumni for support?

Israel/Palestine Week 

Revival as a supporting voice, structure for this discussion. Do we seek a role in facilitating a forum on issues like this?

Elle was concerned that this is a hot topic that can take energy away from local engagement, identifies the problematic aspects of mixed levels of knowledge, misinformation, do we want to form opportunities to rally momentum that takes workshops, skill-sharing going on right now @ TESC, and carries it forward.

International Women’s Week

James and Dante hosting Male Allyship workshop Tuesday, March 5th, starting at 3 in Sem II, C1107

Community Forum

Often times we find ourselves struggling for answers instead of asking the right questions in the first place. The issues we’ve been talking about within Revival are not isolated to our group of folks, and need to be shared with the larger campus community. We must address how we will maintain support across generations of Greeners, and look to sustaining the momentum of Revival, engaging alumni and freshman/first-year students alike (as well as other students, staff and faculty). We seek to highlight those who are already doing it, alumni in particular, because as folks move off into the world of the “alternative”, they can be left out of the dialogue. It is vitally important that we make community forums known to alumni who were really served by Evergreen’s spirit and values.

Dante is planning a campus-wide Revival Forum on June 1st, 2013 will be the 2nd annual Return to Evergreen where we invite alumni back to campus. Dante on planning committee, thinking about a seminar workshop: Re-imagining space, how you see Evergreen then, now and in the future.Bringing it to the meeting this week to discuss the community forum with our wider Revival community.

When Evergreen was first starting, and when there were relatively few student groups, there were Resource Centers, acting as hubs of activity. EPIC was one: Evergreen Political Information Center — supported TESC, as well as the greater Northwest community. Some have said that these larger groups, hubs was broken up by Special Initiative funding structure, which allowed more individual groups to get more funding.

In Student Activities today, we now have a much wider spread, but with more narrow interests, and now we are competing for resources more as well. The larger Revival, and the smaller committee seek to facilitate a community resurgence that supports us in pooling our collective impact, whether that’s finances, ideas, or other resources.

~ ~ ~

“If you want to go fast, go alone. If you want to go far, go together.”

Next Revival: 

Bringing the Administration, Staff, Faculty and other Students into Revival Conversation

Community Dialogue: contacting these vital folks to bring them into the discussion is first and foremost our next move in developing a community space. During the last committee meeting, Jesse identified two people he thinks should be part of the revival conversation:

  • the Alumni Affairs point person on staff @ TESC
  • Anna Shlecht, who runs the homeless census in Olympia, was 2nd employee that the Olympia Food co-op ever hired, & helps put on Pride fest every year.

**Committee meetings are held every Sunday @ 4pm (an hour before the larger revival meeting)**

A number of folks have said it would be helpful to create a list of people and what they’re working on (within revival), making note of the responsibilities and roles that folks have already taken on, and creating a structure that is maybe more inviting to others to join in within those roles, or in a new way.

***Let us know what food you’re brining to the potluck so that we can prepare and pair accordingly

Advertisements

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s